Re: font survey: which clef do you prefer?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: font survey: which clef do you prefer?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:42:39 +0200

2011/7/11 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:
> Thanks for providing such tests.  My preference: Your new clef shape
> having the size of the old one...

;)
If we deicide to include more than 1 clef glyph in the font (and
choose them similarly to choosing between single- and double-lined
breve), it'll be possible to create such variant :)

2011/7/11 Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:

> It looks like you've done a lot of homework, congraturations :-)

Thank you :-)

> From a quick (on-screen) look, I think I prefer the 3rd overall,

3rd?  Are you referring to the third clef from my first mail, i.e. the
right one from the png containing 3 clefs?
Both clefs from the first mail are now obsolete - significant number
of people complained that they are too small, so i made another
version.  See "clef-demo new proposal.pdf" attached to this mail.

> but I think the loop could be a little larger,

the loop in the new version is larger than in original proposal, but
still smaller than our current Feta clef.

> and the curvature of the 2
> thick diagonal parts of the loop could be more synchronized.  May be
> the curve on the top left could be straighter?

Hmm, i don't know what you mean.  Could you sketch it please?

> Also, can you double
> check if the size of the below bulb is what you want?

below bulb = the dot at the bottom?
I think it's fine.
I tried to modify it out of curiosity, but i haven't figured out how to do this.

> As an overall comment:  each individual glyph of the font was inspired
> by nice engravings, but we haven't done much coordination of the
> overall font, so I agree with some of the criticism that Gonville's
> creator fielded, and I don't make much claims that the font is in a
> perfect state of coordination.
>
> The G-clef IIRC was inspired by a copy of Auf dem Strom for Horn &
> Piano.  I can send you a scan later,

I'll gladly see it.

> I think the large airy
> loop was a nice gesture, but like the funny names of the .mf files,
> the time may have come to let go of it.

:)

> Aside from the debatable merits of the airiness of the loop I have
> never been 100% satisfied with the clef.  I tried to have the
> following features:
>
> * symmetry in the various curves (see my comment above)
> * 2 lines of the loop meeting exactly on the staff-line

I think that if we tried to do precisely this, the distance between
center ant outer line of the spiral (near the middle line of the
staff) would become too small.

> * a 'nice' downward stroke - this was the hardest: the downward stroke
> should have the directness of a straight line, but it cannot actually
> be straight, because the transitions between curved and straight would
> be awkward.  In that respect, I like the original 3rd proposal a lot.

Thanks!

cheers,
Janek