Re: Bug or user error?

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Bug or user error?
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:06:58 +0200

Am 15.07.2011 11:58, schrieb Frank Wuest:
G'day everyone,

I've been reading this list for some time, but this is the first time I post
something.

I'm the bass player with a bigband, and I want to use Lilypond mainly to
convert some of the sheet music I'm getting into something more useful.

Anyway, the first installation was somewhat MacGyver-ish - I used the sources
from the lilypond web site and the makefile from the FreeBSD ports tree, which
was for the development branch at the time. That was because I couldn't, and I
still can't, get lilypond to build from the FreeBSD source package - obviously
the configure script fails to produce a proper Makefile.

But, alas, a few weeks ago the ports maintainer decided to switch to the stable
branch, which is good for me. So I installed, dug up the old .ly files, and
went bonkers :-)

  \version "2.14.1"
\header {
title="A Buggy Day"
composer="Gershwin Brothers and sisters"
}
%\relative c,
{

\time 2/2
\clef bass
\partial 4.
r8 r4 \bar "||"
r8\f g,4.->~g,2 r8 g,4.->~g,2

   }

This works perfectly well, but when I uncomment the "\relative c,",
something breaks. With more notes following, the whole thing goes way down low,
way beyond the hearing range. 8-o
Well, "relative" means that the pitch is computed in relation to the pitch before, so
when you code

g4 g g g

all gs are the same pitch.

g4 g, g, g,

means that each following g is one octave lower.

For more examples, see

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/simple-notation

HTH.

Marc
Now of course I'd like to know whether this is just a mistake I made, or if I
found a bug.

Regards,
Frank