Re: Horizontally shifting notes (erratic behaviour)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Horizontally shifting notes (erratic behaviour)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:36:01 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hilary Snaden" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:57 PM

It looks as though I spoke too soon. After applying various of

\override Voice.NoteColumn #'force-hshift
\override NoteColumn #'force-hshift
\shiftOn

in an engraving which needs a good many of horizontal shifts, I found
that sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

It seems that the behaviour of NoteColumn #'force-hshift varies
considerably with the number and configuration of voices.

Examples:

1. Using voices One, Two, Two: overall alignment is right but
force-hshift does not work.

2. Using voices One, Two, Four: force-hshift now works but the overall
alignment is very unsatisfactory.

3. Using voices One, Two: this is the best-looking of the three (after
the last tie is nudged up a little), but the rest of the piece really
needs three voices.

Can you not use voice one and two here, but then change one of the voices to voice four?

--
Phil Holmes