RE: printed bars thickness inconsistencies

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: printed bars thickness inconsistencies
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 22:26:33 +0000

hello,
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Jean-Alexis Montignies
address@hidden
Sent: 17 July 2011 13:51
To: lilypond-user
Subject: printed bars thickness inconsistencies

Hi All!

I have since I use lilypond some problems when printing. Bars (standard ones)
are of different thickness.

It happens on my printer (Xerox 5400) but no on some others so I first thought
it was a printer problem.

What makes me think it could be a problem with generated pdf is:
- it only happens with bars.
- it happens if I print with Preview.app (the display on the screen is correct)
but not with acrobat reader (the print is correct with acrobat reader).
- the bars looks exactly the same wether I choose print definition of 300dpi or
600dpi.

What do you think. How to check this? To dip into the generated postscript? (I
think I'm not expert enough in postscript to pin point problems, may be some
smoothing/rounding issue)

You could, but I have a feeling it is the PDF viewer application that is at
fault here.

I have similar problems with Foxit vs Acrobrat where the 'hole' in the sharp
glyph is rounded  in Foxit but not in Acrobat (this was for Windows). If
Acrobat is correct then use that to print with and report the problem to apple,
I did the same with Foxit (Had no reply) but I gave them the PDF file the
comparative screenshots and the PS file that is generated.

James