Re: Cowell/Ferneyhough Unconventional Meters

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Cowell/Ferneyhough Unconventional Meters
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:57:39 -0400

I use this combination of semantic 'nonbinary' time signature (here 2/10) with \scaleDurations in my own scores rather a lot. It works great.

(Also the best solution if you're using proportional notation because all notes, rests, chords continue to consume the amount of horizontal space that they should.)

It might also be worth pointing out that two competing interpretations of these 'nonbinary' time signatures have developed in the literature over the past couple of decades: what we might call the 'Ferneyhough' and the 'Sciarrino' interpretations, respectively.

Ferneyhough's usage is as Joey describes and basically works by allowing the 10 in 2/10 to effect a 4/5 diminution of the notes, rests, chords governed by the time signature. (How does one extract 4/5 from 10? By dividing out all integer powers of 2 from the prime factors of 10 and then inserting this value -- call it n -- in a multiplier of the form m/n, with m defined equal to the greatest integer power of 2 *less than* n. Here, for example, we see that 10 = 2 * 5; we remove the 2 and find n = 5; the greatest integer power of 2 less than 5 is 4; so m/n = 4/5 which is exactly the prolational scaling value of the 10 in 2/10. A second example could be the time signature 5/18, the denominator of which is 18 = 2 * 3 * 3, which gives n = 3 * 3 = 9 and m/n = 8/9, which is the value by which notes, rests, chords in a measure of 5/18 will be time-scaled under this first interpretation of such meters.)

Sciarrino's (and many others') usage essentially interprets meters like 2/10 and 5/18 as indicating the amount of musical time a bar is to consume *without* attributing any time-scaling power to the time signatures in question. (Partial or 'broken') tuplets then need to be added explicitly to make the time values of notes, rests and chords calculate correctly. This is the interpretation of such meters under which Joseph originally proposed to answer Joey's question.

The two ways of interpreting these time signatures are incompatible. AFAICT the 'Sciarrino' interpretation is used by many more composers now than is the 'Ferneyhough' interpretation. But Ferneyhough is certainly the best known exemplar of the technique.

Trevor.