Help understanding print problem

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Help understanding print problem
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:15:41 -0400

My guess is that this is not a lilypond bug, but there might be someone
here who could shed light on how to report it, or better ways to work
around it.

I have a PDF file
<http://serpentpublications.org/music/dewilde/amours/allparts.pdf>,
produced by lilypond-book with parts and score for a piece.  It looks as
I expect in xpdf.  For playing with my group, I need lots of copies of
the parts, but only one of the score, so I printed out the parts with
the options to xpdf which caused pages 1-6 to print out single-sided
several times.  Then I tried to print pages 7-9 (the score) double
sided, and then single sided, and both times got pages with (some of
the) staff lines and stems and brackets and text, but no note heads.

When I print the whole file single sided, the score prints as expected.

When it's not printing correctly, I get lots of error messages in the
console window from which I invoked xpdf.  Here are some of them:

Error (1114123): Illegal character <12> in hex string
Error (1114124): Illegal character <82> in hex string
Error (1114125): Illegal character <82> in hex string
Error (1114075): Illegal character '}'
Error (1114126): Illegal character '>'
Error: font resource is not a dictionary
Error: font resource is not a dictionary
Error: ExtGState 'R7' is unknown
Error: Unknown font tag 'R8'
Error (812121): No font in show
Error: Unknown font tag 'R8'

This is lily 2.14.1, on ubuntu 10.10, with xpdf version 3.02, printing
on a Brother HL-5250DN printer.  I would be happy to report this bad
behavior if I had any idea which of the many programs involved in
turning my lilypond code into black marks on paper was responsible.
Does anyone have a better educated guess than I do for how to narrow the
field of possible suspects?

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #154085, for
a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin' it without our
permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a
dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote
it, that's all we wanted to do.

Woody Guthrie