Re: Simplest way to get notes without staves

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Simplest way to get notes without staves
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:31:04 +0200

Il giorno mer, 20/07/2011 alle 07.55 +0100, John Allsup ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to lilypond and want (so as to have a graphic), a pair of
> quavers and a quadruple of
> semiquavers just on their own (i.e. no staff or time signature.)  What
> is the easiest way to do this
> in Lilypond.  (I am aware I could probably find some method, but I have
> a habit of finding ugly
> hacks when I do this with an unfamiliar system.)

Hi John and welcome to LilyPond!

I recommend to use the index (last appendix on the left menu) in each
manual: it's the quickest way to find the relevant information in the
docs.
If you click on S and search Staff, you'll see "staff, hiding", which
brings to this snippet:

\new Staff \with {
  \remove "Staff_symbol_engraver"
}
\relative c''' { a8 f e16 d c b a2 }

In order to remove the key signature, you have two options:

\override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f

Choose one of them.

The visibility of objects is explained here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/visibility-of-objects

Cheers,
Federico