where's the slur? (4 year old question)

From: ehzone
Subject: where's the slur? (4 year old question)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:43:16 -0400

Folks:

I want to typeset the following fragment but I can't get lilypond to
produce the effect I'm looking for.  Here's what I've provided
lilypond as input:

\new Staff {
   \time 2/2 <e'( c' a>2 ~  <d') c' a>
}

The effect I want is arcs drawn between each of the three notes in the
two chords; ties between the 'c' and 'a' and a slur between the 'e'
and 'd'.  What lilypond produces are the ties between the 'c' and 'a'
but the slur isn't produced.  Essentially, lilypond produces output
for this input:

\new Staff {
   \time 2/2 <e' c' a>2 ~  <d' c' a>
}

How can I get lilypond to produce the arc between the 'e' and the 'd'?

I did ask this very same question 4 years ago.  At that time I
received two answers: one suggested it was a bug that had been fixed
in an upcoming release, and the other said it worked provided I change
the input slightly.

I've been typesetting the sheet music containing this construction
with each new version of lilypond I download and I haven't seen the
fix.  Perhaps I'm not providing the appropriate input but I haven't
seen anything in the documentation that provides the correct syntax
for what I want to do.

As for the second response that said it worked with the following altered input:

\new Staff {
   \time 2/2 <e' c' a>2( ~  <d' c' a>)
}

While this does produce 3 arcs, the arcs aren't drawn where they
should be.  In the above 'suggested' solution, lilypond is creating
the slur between the two chords, as well as ties between the 'a' and
the 'c'; the slur I want is between the 'e' and 'd', not the entire
chord.

For the last 4 years, I have been manually (with a pen!) altering
printouts of this music.  Can someone please tell me how to force or
coerce lilypond into providing the output I'm looking for?

regards,
eh.