Re: multiple timesignatures

From: Ruud van Silfhout
Subject: Re: multiple timesignatures
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:28:08 +0000 (UTC)

Matthew Collett <m_collett <at> ihug.co.nz> writes:

> On 23/07/2011, at 6:26 am, Ruud van Silfhout wrote:
>
> > I saw that in January of this year a new feature called compoundTime
signatures
> > is introduced in Lilypond. A good effort. compoundTime specified the timing
of
> > each measure. However, for church music (esp. hymns) this does not suffice.
What
> > you see there is that multiple meters are specified a the start of the
music.
> > This means that the of a song each measure is in one of the initial meters.
>
> Here's how I've been doing it:
>
> \version "2.14.1"
> \language "english"
>
> #(define ((dual-time one two denom) grob)
>   (grob-interpret-markup grob
>     (markup #:override '(baseline-skip . 0) #:number
>       (#:line ( (#:column (one denom)) (#:column (two denom)) ) )
>     )
>   )
> )
>
> dualTime = #(define-music-function (parser location num1 num2 denom) (string?
string? string?) #{
>     \once\override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = #(dual-time $num1 $num2
$denom)
>     \once\revert TimeSignature #'break-visibility
> #})
>
> \layout {
>   indent = 0.0\cm
>   \context {
>     \Staff
>       \override TimeSignature #'break-visibility = #all-invisible
>     }
> }
>
> \score {
>   \new Staff \relative { \clef "treble_8" \key f \major
>     \dualTime "4" "6" "4" \time 4/4 f,2 c'4 c d e f2 |
>     f2 e4 d c b c2 |
>     \time 6/4 a2 a4 f bf a \time 4/4 g g f2  \bar"||"
>     c'2 c4 d c bf a2 |
>     a2 c4 c bf a g2 |
>     \time 6/4 a2 bf4 a f a \time 4/4 g g f2 \bar"|." }
> }
>
> The tricky bit of Scheme to make the time signature is cribbed from the
"Compound time signatures" snippet
> that predated the new feature (and is still the way the 2.14 documentation
says to do it!).  Other than that,
> the general idea is just to suppress the printing of time signatures except
where you explicitly ask for
> them.  It would be nicer for the syntax to be something like
> \dualTime 4/4 6/4
> without having to quote every number, but it does the job.
>
> Best wishes,
> Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know it was so easy to do this! Nice. I will
certainly use this!
However, I thought now compoundMeters made it into lily, it is also time that
multiple meters should make it into lily as a logical successor :-).
So, I still hope to  integrate a nice solution into lilypond. Or am I barking
up
the wrong tree by posting it to the user news group instead of the developer
news group.

Regards,
Ruud