Re: Basic function question

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Basic function question
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:27:55 +0200

On Jul 26, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Urs Liska wrote:

> Hello list members,
>
> after fiddling around too long and getting lost with the basics, I decided to
> ask my question here.
> I know it's basic, and I wonder why I get stuck this way, but obviously I'm
> confused and unable to find the right place in the docs.
>
> I want to write a function "instr" to produce formatted markup that I can use
> like
>
> { c d e f^\instr "Vl." }
>
> which should be translated to (e.g.)
>
> { c d e f^\markup \bold \italic \huge { "Vl." } }
>
> Unfortunately I seem absolutely unable to find out how to define the function
> so I can attach it to the note like in the example.
>
> Hopefully someone can either give me a working example or point me to the
> exact location in the docs where I can fully understand this issue.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Urs

To do this, you need to use a music function.

instr = #(define-music-function (parser location m s) (ly:music? string?)
  (make-music 'EventChord 'elements (append (ly:music-property m 'elements)
                                            (list (make-music 'TextScriptEvent
'direction 1

'text (markup #:huge #:bold #:italic s))))))

\instr a4 "foo"

Cheers,
MS