Re: Basic function question

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Basic function question
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:39:37 +0200

Am 26.07.2011 11:28, schrieb Dmytro O. Redchuk:
On Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:14 Urs Liska wrote:
Hello list members,

after fiddling around too long and getting lost with the basics, I
decided to ask my question here.
I know it's basic, and I wonder why I get stuck this way, but
obviously I'm confused and unable to find the right place in the
docs.

I want to write a function "instr" to produce formatted markup that
I can use like

{ c d e f^\instr "Vl." }

which should be translated to (e.g.)

{ c d e f^\markup \bold \italic \huge { "Vl." } }
I guess you can write markup function and then use it like this:

   { c d e f^\markup\instr "Vl." }

So (if so), you need to define markup function.

#(define-markup-command (instr layout props what) (markup?)
   (interpret-markup layout props
     (markup #:bold #:italic #:huge what)))

(not tested thougth).

Well this works. This is a solution I had also found in the docs.

So it seems it is not possible to _use_ functions the way I had wanted?
I have always either to use a markup function (and write "\markup")
or to first write the function name and provide the note as an argument.
Is that correct?

Best
Urs
Unfortunately I seem absolutely unable to find out how to define the
function so I can attach it to the note like in the example.

Hopefully someone can either give me a working example or point me
to the exact location in the docs where I can fully understand this
issue.

Thanks in advance
Urs