RE: Overriding shifting of coda when \break is used?

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Overriding shifting of coda when \break is used?
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 16:30:53 +0000

Hello,
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Tim McNamara address@hidden
Sent: 06 August 2011 17:17
To: LilyPond User
Subject: Overriding shifting of coda when \break is used?

By default Lilypond moves a coda placed at the end of a line to the beginning
of the next line of \break is used.  I consider this bad behavior- the
rehearsal marks should stay put where I place them rather than having that
placement changed by the application (I have no idea why Lilypond is coded to
do this in the first place; I'm sure someone had what they thought was a good
reason but it's a nuisance when writing jazz lead sheets).

Is there a way to turn this off and get my coda marks to be where I want them?
I couldn't find anything in the docs.

---

Try.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/visibility-of-objects#index-break_002dvisibility

I also don't understand your point about your gripe that LilyPond puts them
where you think they are to be. Musically a rehearsal mark indicates the
*start* of a section not the end.

So when you break, the *start* of the section is exactly in the right place -
i.e. the start of the next line.

The fact you are using a coda 'glyph' for your rehearsal mark is, as I say
irrelevant there is no '\coda' fuction - it's a rehearsal mark which you are
using a specified glyph (Unless I have misunderstood you).

What LilyPond does with rehearsal marks is exactly what I want and I don't want
to have to move them manually when she decides to break a line at the point the
section starts.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood.

James