Common Violin notation doesn't seem to be a part of Lilypond

From: John Sellers
Subject: Common Violin notation doesn't seem to be a part of Lilypond
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:58:36 +0000 (UTC)

(Aside: http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general
does a lousy job of submitting text.  It doesn't seem to understand how
to handle word wrap...a concept that has been around how many years?  Come
on!  Being tied to the 80 characters per line that the submission request
form insists on has been obsolete since the demise of the IBM punched cards.)

Violin Notation:
There are three notations for which I have not been able to exactly identify
how to do.  Clearly 2) & 3) below could be done with some sort of
Text Spanner, 1) below should probably be controlled in association with the
fingering notation (my ignorant guess, tell me if I am wrong).

1) Fingering held over time: It is common to indicate that a particular
finger is to be held down by placing a fingering number under a note
to indicate when the finger was first positioned on the fingerboard, and
then to draw a solid line to the right indicating the duration that the
finger is not moved.  Typically this is part of a measure up to a
several measures in length.

2) Position indication: The violin is played with various positions of the
left hand.  This can vary from first position up to as high as
eleventh or even twelfth position.  When a passage is to played in a
particular position, the position is usually indicated by a
Roman Numeral with a line to the right to indicate how long the position
is to be used.  I don't know what the accepted style or styles are
for the line, and other may not either, thus it would be good to be
part of Lilypond.

3) String indication: Sometimes passages are played on a particular string.
For example the classical "Air on the G string".  This is sometimes
indicated by the letter or string, with a line extending to the right
I don't know what the accepted style or styles are for the line.

I assume that someone could write some simple snippets for doing these,
or perhaps it would be appropriate to specifically incorporate
them into Lilypond.

Thanks for your attention,
Sincerely, John