Re: Common Violin notation doesn't seem to be a part of Lilypond

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: Common Violin notation doesn't seem to be a part of Lilypond
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:21:02 -0700 (PDT)

John Sellers-4 wrote:

> Violin Notation:
> There are three notations for which I have not been able to exactly
> identify
> how to do.  Clearly 2) & 3) below could be done with some sort of
> Text Spanner, 1) below should probably be controlled in association with
> the
> fingering notation (my ignorant guess, tell me if I am wrong).
>
> 1) Fingering held over time: It is common to indicate that a particular
> finger is to be held down by placing a fingering number under a note
> to indicate when the finger was first positioned on the fingerboard, and
> then to draw a solid line to the right indicating the duration that the
> finger is not moved.  Typically this is part of a measure up to a
> several measures in length.

you may want to look at this snippet and adapt it for just fingering
indications instead of string numbers
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=616

> 2) Position indication: The violin is played with various positions of the
> left hand.  This can vary from first position up to as high as
> eleventh or even twelfth position.  When a passage is to played in a
> particular position, the position is usually indicated by a
> Roman Numeral with a line to the right to indicate how long the position
> is to be used.  I don't know what the accepted style or styles are
> for the line, and other may not either, thus it would be good to be
> part of Lilypond.

maybe the chapter
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/guitar holds some
useful information

> 3) String indication: Sometimes passages are played on a particular
> string.
> For example the classical "Air on the G string".  This is sometimes
> indicated by the letter or string, with a line extending to the right
> I don't know what the accepted style or styles are for the line.

see above!

as i am not a violin player i don't know if this fits your needs.

please have a look at it and ask again if you need different functions!

Eluze