Re: Misleading autobeaming in 3/4

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Misleading autobeaming in 3/4
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 07:55:43 -0600

On 8/13/11 2:55 PM, "Bertrand Bordage" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> (I don't know if we can call this a defect, so I don't send it to bug-lilypond
> for the moment)
>
> I am working on a 3/4 score with this rhythmical pattern in the beginning :
> "4. 8 8 8".
> It is repeated five times, but the rest of the score is clearly in 3/4 and not
> 6/8, contrary to what this pattern suggests.
>
> It is therefore important to have a beaming that suggests 3/4, even if it's
> already written at the beginning.
> But here's what happens:
>
> %%%
> \markup "This:"
> \relative c'' { \time 3/4 a4. b8 c d e d c b4. a8 b c d c b a2. }
> \markup "looks like 6/8:"
> \relative c'' { \time 6/8 a4. b8 c d e d c b4. a8 b c d c b a2. }
> \markup "but should be like this:"
> \relative c'' { \time 3/4 a4. b8\noBeam c d e d c\noBeam b4. a8 b c d c b a2.
> }
> %%%

IMO this *is* a bug for default beaming.  The engraving sources (Stone,
Read, Gould) are pretty united in saying that you should not beam 3/4 to
look like 6/8.

I'm not sure what's going on with the Chopin and Brahms beaming that looks
like LilyPond's current default.

Please report to bug-lilypond.

Thanks,

Carl