Re: Misleading autobeaming in 3/4

From: Damian leGassick
Subject: Re: Misleading autobeaming in 3/4
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:16:25 +0100

sorry to be a pedant, but...

traditionally, 4. [8 8 8] is the exception to the rule that you subdivide the
8ths 2,2,2 in a 3/4 bar

Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Liszt, Brahms and Ravel do this
consistently. It is also normal for Debussy apart from in the late violin
sonata .

the occasional exception to this exception is in phrasing like this:

4.( 8)-. 8[(  8]) or 4.( 8)-. 8[(  8]

I'm sorry to contradict David but you'll be hard pushed to find many published
examples of 4. 8 [8 8] that don't have mitigating phrasing circumstances (e.g.
Rachmaninov prefers a strict 2,2,2 at slow tempi). There are, otoh, literally
thousands of examples of 4. [8 8 8] in 3/4 time from the baroque through
late-romantic periods - it is certainly not 'wrong' even though it 'should' be
logically