Re: Misleading autobeaming in 3/4

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Misleading autobeaming in 3/4
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:29:09 -0400

At Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:00:20 -0400,
address@hidden wrote:
> Subject: Re: Misleading autobeaming in 3/4
>
> I am looking at my copy of the famous Scherzo opus 4 of Brahms.  (Kalmus
> Edition) The beaming is clearly r4 r8 8[ 8 8] all over the place, since
> the main them is r4 r8 8[ 8 8].  I see this as an expediting right hand
> of Mr. Brahms, I bet 100 euros that the original manuscript is beamed
> the same way.
>
> I can go get my scores of quintets, quartets, and symphonies, and show
> the same beaming.

I haven't followed the thread very closely, but it seems to me that the default
beaming behavior is justifiable -- not at all rare in common practice music.

The notation reference explains how to get 3/4 to break the beams by quarter
notes[1], anyway:

{
  \time 3/4
  \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()
  a'4. a'8 a'8 a'8
}

So I guess I don't see the reason for the fuss, nor any reason to consider bug
reports etc.

hjh

[1]
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/beams#setting-automatic-beam-behavior