How does html editor "talk" to LilyPond ?

From: Christopher Berg
Subject: How does html editor "talk" to LilyPond ?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:13:26 -0400

Hi, I'm hoping this is a basic question with an easy answer:

I'd like to make some web pages with simple musical examples. I've studied the relevant manual pages, but there seems to be some basic information taken for granted in the explanations.

I put the example code from the manual into an html page in my text editor (BBEdit),

<lilypond fragment relative=2>
\key c \minor c4 es g2
</lilypond>

but, of course, no music showed up when I previewed the page. What needs to happen to get the music the show up? Is there some way I must "link" the editor to LilyPond? Do I have to run a terminal command on the file (if so, what and how)?

I have been successful in producing some nice LaTeX documents with lilypond-book in TexShop, but that happens fairly seamlessly due to Nicola Vitacolonna's engines.

I'm fairly new to html and can do a little in the terminal, but I'd like to figure this out. What am I missing?

Thank you for any help. I'm using LilyPond 2.14.2 on a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8.