Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 14:12:17 +0200

Am 18.08.2011 13:34, schrieb Joseph Wakeling:
On 08/18/2011 12:01 PM, address@hidden wrote:
The rules state that one can only use Sibelius or Finale.  Thinking that
this was perhaps an oversight, I contacted the administrator to see if I
could use Lilypond, who replied:
Hmmm.  It can be dangerous asking about random software they have never
heard of (obviously they have staff who can use Sibelius or Finale; they
surely don't have staff who can use Lilypond) but what I'm curious about
is why they won't accept merely a PDF.

Do they have any word on that?

I found this rather bizarre, making me think that:

(a) Sibelius and Finale are paying competitions to exclude other
software (unlikely)
(b) People are writing nonsensical rules (likely)
Bear in mind that one thing they may get from Finale/Sibelius is
_playback_, potentially using very high-quality sampled sounds.  But I
agree it's most likely stupidity rather than need.

I would want to ask them why they need the Finale/Sibelius files at all
and why the PDF copies they also ask for will not suffice.#
If I read it correctly, they don't even ask for Finale/Sibelius files at all. On only has to submit 4 paper copies and 4 cds with PDFs
- which seems to make it even stranger.
If it should make any sense I strongly suspect the publishing option (as pointed out in my previous post)