Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:42:13 +0200

I even feel I have to come to those guys' defence - zero of my
professional as well as non-professional musical friends knew (of)
LilyPond before I told them, and I don't think many of them will use it
because they prefer the apparent comfort of
point-and-click-WYSIWYG-kind-of-programs. Whereas all of them use
Sibelius or, occasionally, Finale.

Also, I don't know any of the numerous other scorewriting programs that
are available out there, so I cannot judge the quality of those. So, I
don't want to step on anyone's toes, but let's just assume that they are
inferior to Sibelius and Finale.

So it might very well be that there is some commercial background to
that contest rule ... but it might also just be that the judges want
typeset scores of decent quality, and for all they know only Sibelius or
Finale deliver that. I wouldn't call that stupid ... maybe a bit
narrow-minded (in particular because they exclude any musical genius who
doesn't know computers from their contest), and certainly annoying for
us here. I still wait for their response, though. A-and I found the idea
of including a "make-it-look-crappy-like-sibelius-engraver" very
amusing!

Rob