articulate problem

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: articulate problem
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:13:26 -0500

I am having a problem with the \articulate command in LilyPond 2.14.1 on a mac
with OSX 10.6.8.

For example, with the lilypond input file (I call it "articulate_problem.ly):

\version "2.14.1"
\include "articulate.ly"
music =   \relative b' {
                a b c d
                a2 b
                c4. d r4
}

\score {
        \articulate
        \new Staff {  \music  }
        \layout {}
        \midi {}
}

and the command: lilypond --png -I
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/ly
articulate_problem.ly

I get the attached png file.

The problem is in the pdf/png output file.  Instead of what one would expect (3
bars of 4 beats each), the output file shows three measures with each of the
notes followed by a rest of the same duration.  Thus the 1st bar contains
effectively: a4 r b r c r d r.  These eight are packed into a single measure!
The 2nd measure is:  a2 r b 4, again eight beats packed into a single measure.
The 3rd measure is:  c4. r d r r4, or 7 beats packed into a single measure.

I get the same result if I compile the input file in LilyPond (i.e., the little
editor that comes with it) or Jedit.  If I remove the "\articulate" command,
the output is then correct.  Adding the "unfoldRepeats" command has no effect
on the output.

The midi file (also attached) does not seem to be affected by the problem.

Note:  The log file generated contains the lines:

Converting to PNG...
*** Warning: GenericResourceDir doesn't point to a valid resource directory.
               the -sGenericResourceDir=... option can be used to set this.

but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the output.  I have tried to find
what the GenericResourceDir should be set to, but so far unsuccessfully.

PNG image