Re:articulate problem (Marc Hohl)

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: Re:articulate problem (Marc Hohl)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 16:38:29 -0500

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:36:25 +0200
> From: Marc Hohl <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: articulate problem
>
> Am 19.08.2011 19:13, schrieb Patrick Karl:
>> I am having a problem with the \articulate command in LilyPond 2.14.1 on a
>> mac with OSX 10.6.8.
>>
>> For example, with the lilypond input file (I call it "articulate_problem.ly):
>>
>> \version "2.14.1"
>> \include "articulate.ly"
>> music =   \relative b' {
>>              a b c d
>>              a2 b
>>              c4. d r4
>> }
>>
>> \score {
>>      \articulate
>>      \new Staff {  \music  }
>>      \layout {}
>>      \midi {}
>> }
>>
> AFAIK articulate is used to include articulations in MIDI output files,
> so the MIDI sounds a bit more
> "realistic". For that reason, it multiplies the notes by some computed
> values, so a quarter note
> may be 90% of a normal quarter, whereas the following rest is 10% of a
> quarter note.
>
> I use two score blocks, one for the printed music,
>
> \score {
>       \articulate
>       \new Staff {  \music  }
> }
> (without \midi { }, you can delete the \layout { })
>
> and one for MIDI:
>
> \score {
>       \articulate
>       \new Staff {  \music  }
>       \midi {}
> }
>
> (here, we don't want to get printable scores).
>
> HTH,

Why don't we want to get printable scores here?  It would be interesting to see
what \articulate has done to the music, possibly with the prospect of modifying
it.  And in any case if we do want to get a printable score here, wouldn't we
like it to be accurate?

> Marc
>> and the command: lilypond --png -I
>> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/ly
>> articulate_problem.ly
>>
>> I get the attached png file.
>>
>> The problem is in the pdf/png output file.  Instead of what one would expect
>> (3 bars of 4 beats each), the output file shows three measures with each of
>> the notes followed by a rest of the same duration.  Thus the 1st bar
>> contains effectively: a4 r b r c r d r.  These eight are packed into a
>> single measure!  The 2nd measure is:  a2 r b 4, again eight beats packed
>> into a single measure. The 3rd measure is:  c4. r d r r4, or 7 beats packed
>> into a single measure.
>>
>> I get the same result if I compile the input file in LilyPond (i.e., the
>> little editor that comes with it) or Jedit.  If I remove the "\articulate"
>> command, the output is then correct.  Adding the "unfoldRepeats" command has
>> no effect on the output.
>>
>> The midi file (also attached) does not seem to be affected by the problem.
>>
>> Note:  The log file generated contains the lines:
>>
>> Converting to PNG...
>> *** Warning: GenericResourceDir doesn't point to a valid resource directory.
>>                the -sGenericResourceDir=... option can be used to set this.
>>
>> but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the output.  I have tried to find
>> what the GenericResourceDir should be set to, but so far unsuccessfully.

Anybody have an idea on the GenericResourceDir problem?