fast checking of multiple layouts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: fast checking of multiple layouts
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:09:27 -0400

Hi all,

I've got a choral piece in which there are:
   1. large sections of "choral unison", where a single staff [SATB] suffices;
   2. large sections of slightly more complex homophony, where two staves [SA +
TB] suffice; and,
   3. large sections of very complex homophony or polyphony, where four staves
[S + A + T + B] are required.

I would like to use the same source material, with the least duplication, and
quickly view different combinations (via manual breaks, manual selection of
staff setup, etc.). Has anyone solved this problem, either in an actual score,
or thought experiment? My intuition says that judicious use of \tag and
\quoteDuring might be all that's required.

Thanks,
Kieren.