Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:42:05 +0200

On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Joseph Wakeling wrote:

>> Why does anyone using LilyPond care about these blokes at all?
>
> Because even if they were requesting full copyright transfer, it's not a
> good thing that they exclude composers on the basis of the software used.
>
>> (Why does anyone care about a concerts for six organs at all? I'm just a
>> humble folk musician, but I know there are great organs around where you
>> don't need six organists playing at once. I can't imagine there's any
>> musical advantage of six small organs over a good, big one...)
>
> There are things you can do with twelve hands, that you can't with two
> ...  To be honest, musically speaking this looks like a fantastic
> concept: the opportunity to write music for a very particular location
> with very particular acoustic and sonic properties.

+1
Any response back from them?  I have a python patch in the wings itching to
generate a six organ score.

Perhaps the creation of a lilypond-advocacy list is in order?  I would not mind
at all spending 15 minutes a week writing letters to non-lilypond-friendly
musical organizations trying to convince them to allow the software.

Cheers,
MS