Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:11:13 +0200

Am 22.08.2011 16:55, schrieb Mike Solomon:
On Aug 22, 2011, at 4:48 PM, Urs Liska wrote:

Am 22.08.2011 16:40, schrieb Mike Solomon:
Yup.

I started doing this a while back - most of it is doable, and Jan has implemented some
helper functions as well.  It is kinda thorny, though, and only works for a certain
category of "tame" music.
Is this a restriction/problem on the LilyPond side or a restriction of the musicXML
standard ("The MusicXML format represents common Western musical notation from the
17th century onwards" - which usually really means 17th-19th century, possibly a
little bit of early 20th)?
The musicXML standard.  This is because it is not object oriented, so (unless someone can
offer me proof to the contrary) one cannot say things to the effect of "cross-staff
stem X should reach down to note-head Y."
Is it also measure oriented (vs. voice oriented)?
I saw the beginning of a MusicXML example file (on recordare.com) that made this impression.
This would also be a noteworthy restriction.

Sorry, I'm quite interested in this but probably won't be of much help ...
Best
Urs
Cheers,
MS