Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Francois Planiol
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 06:20:38 -0500

@ Janek,

>>> Keyboard entry?
>>
>> For many people it's a disadvantage.
>> Certainly entering notes on a virtual staff paper has some advantages.

Indeed, buuut,

When I started with notation, I used hb-engraver. Entering notes in a
notes-entry "shell" on-the-staff, Dynamics in a dyn-shell, lyrics in a
lyrics-shell. etc This was good since each "shell" had its dedicated
tools and this was "overlookable"

With Finale began the struggle: toooooo much tools, toooo much stuff,
and cryptical icons on the topof it. I tried Sib, that is even worse.

When I heard of MusixTeX and short after Lily, I took the time to make
new connections, to be able to think music in the lily-way. At least
this works for simple music, for complex I take the paper. Just as
said to me a professional engraver that is still using Score today and
delivers for well known editors in Germany.

1st the stuff in programs like Finale and Sib is too much and too
cryptic. And with less you miss functions.

2nd What you can compose direct on an electronic staff, you can type
it as plain-text

For the rest you will mostly need the piano-paper way first, in most cases.

Best Greetings,

Francois