Re: dynamic padding struggles

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: dynamic padding struggles
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 04:58:29 +0000 (UTC)

Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan <at> sympatico.ca> writes:

> Can anyone explain why the following snippet
> doesn't do what I want [...]

I can't; I would have thought that would work.

It seems the default way of computing the Y-offset both handles the
'staff-padding that we want, and insists that dynamics be a distance
'padding above the note-head.

Setting 'padding = -BIG works for the example;
maybe it will do for you score?

\relative c'' {
  \dynamicUp c4 c'->\p e,
  \override DynamicText #'X-offset = #-2.5
  \override DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #-10
  \override DynamicLineSpanner #'staff-padding = #2
  e'-.\p