Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 00:05:46 -0700

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 08:33:11AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I am very surprised that so many of the LilyPond users are composers!
> > I was quite sure that Lily is mostly suited for engravers and editors.
>
> Well, what would you call it if you are practicing musician using
> Lilypond for putting down your own arrangements and work scores?

There's no guarantee that people are doing their own arrangements,
though.  Somebody engraving an urtext Beethoven piano sonata for
Mutopia wouldn't be a "composer".

> It's like saying "I am very surprised that so many word processor users
> are writers rather than editors and publishers".  What else but writing
> would you be using the program for, even though you may not make a
> professional living from it?

"I am very surprised that so many typewriter operators (in the
1930s or 50s) are writers rather than secretaries" ?  There's a
difference between using a tool and using a tool creatively.
According to old movie and stuff [1], there used to be a whole
occupation called wherein people (generally females) would collect
text verbally and then produce a type-written version.

[1] this was far earlier than my time, but we probably have some
people on this list who remember those "good old days".  Remember
when a "calculator" meant a human being?  :)

Cheers,
- Graham