Re: New LilyPond tutorial

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: New LilyPond tutorial
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:49:10 +0200

Am Wednesday, 24. August 2011, 02:00:16 schrieb Urs Liska:
> Hello list,
>
> I have just put a new tutorial online. You can read it at
> http://www.ursliska.de/73.0.html
[..]

Really nice.

> Comments that arent' interesting for the public (linguistic details for
> example) please privately, LilyPond related comments on the list.

1) You know that you can give dynamics their own directions? So you can simply
write (in rightOne):

<bes bes'>4^\<(

instead of

\dynamicUp
<bes bes'>4\<( ...
\dynamicNeutral

2) Resetting the tie direction to the default in rightOne is much simpler than
you thought. In particular, \voiceOne simply sets (i.e. does the same as
\override) the 'direction property of several grobs, including Tie.
So, to get the oneVoice-behaviour, all you have to do is to revert the Tie's
'direction property to the default:

tweakSix = {
  % Simulate \oneVoice style ties
  \once \revert Tie #'direction
}

Note that now the \tweakSix has to be placed right before the tie's start,
which is what one would intuitively expect.

3) You manually use \oneVoice ... \voiceOne to get proper rest merging.
LilyPond can do that automatically:
    http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=336
I thought that this function has been included into LilyPond, but I can't find
it anywhere...
Ah, it's been started, but never finished:

4) Thanks for tellung us about the tupletSpannerDuration... I wasn't aware of
that and always copied dozens of "} \times 2/3 {" strings when I wrote some
string ensemble works... This makes life way easier! Amazing, even after years
of using and developing LilyPond, you can learn something new any        day!

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886