Re: MusicXML exporter (was Re: Lilypond lobbying?)

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: MusicXML exporter (was Re: Lilypond lobbying?)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:05:40 +0200 (CEST)

Interesting discussion. And, being primarily a user and not (really) a developer, I hardly can wait to see where this will lead to. But I will be patient.

The way I see it: The ideal case would be if a lilypond score that is converted to musicXML and then imported to some other music scoring software (Finale, Sibelius) the printed result would be identical.

I don't think this ideal situation will ever exist.

1. My lilypond scores even don't give the exact same printed result when processed with different versions of Lilypond (for example 2.12.x vs 2.15.x). So what will happen when converted to MusicXML ?

2. Finale's and Sibelius' MusicXML import isn't 100% perfect either. Yes, when Finale exports a MusicXML file and then imports the same MusicXML file the result will be quite good. But I would not be surprised if importing MusicXML from other programs is much less perfect. Even if MusicXML was invented exactly to make that possible.

But even with shortcomings, MusicXML would make it easier to convert/import Lilypond created scores to other programs. Post-editing may still be needed, but will much less work than when using MIDI export/import.

--

MT