Re: Accordion notation for beginners

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Accordion notation for beginners
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 16:43:15 +0200

Volker Paul <address@hidden> writes:

> I wanted to write songs in this notation but I found it difficult in Lilypond.
> With some effort I finally managed it. The result is a template that
> I published on my homepage. Now for my questions:
>
>     * How widely is this notation used?

I have never seen it.

> Is it only for beginners?

It is somewhat similar to French notation, going into a bit more
rhythmical detail.  So it may be intended to people being used to French
notation and less trivial rhythm.

But that is a total guess: if it is intended for beginners, it is likely
only just one particular accordion school that makes use of it.

> Which notation is used for advanced accordion players? AAA notation?

AAA notation is pretty much the same (except for the Cyrillic lettering)
as Russian standard bass notation.

In Europe, chords tend to get spelled out instead, with chord names
ascribed to them.  As opposed to the strict "big octave -- bass, small
octave -- chord" relationship, the octave tends to be looser, in
particular trying to avoid putting octave breaks into melodic bass
lines.

> * So, does it make sense to further develop a template for this
> notation?

I really don't think so.  It might be worth checking with some French
accordionists, but I doubt that this notation is in widespread use.

> * If so, is this template described here a good start? Are there
> different, better approaches?

I have not checked the code yet, but would be surprised if there is
enough common ground between accordion notations that one can make some
really convincing entry mode covering them all.

--
David Kastrup