Re: Empty music sheet generator in LilyPond

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: Empty music sheet generator in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 01:00:54 +0200

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 06:01:56PM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 8. September 2011, 17:51:25 schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
> > It looks promising.
> > But it would be better if it were nice to the forests: Sheets should
> > probably contain more than one staff/system if space allows.  ;-)
>
> That's why you can select "Systems/page"...

Sorry; I hadn't noticed it.

> Notice, however, that if you have e.g. a full orchestral score selected, in
> most cases only 1 system fits onto a page, so "Systems/page" is set to 1. If
> you then select another type, where more than one system fits on a page, the
> "Systems/page" does NOT change. You'll have to change it manually.
>
> I didn't want to change automatically change the "Systems/page" to an optimal
> value when you select a different score-type, because that would be too
> annoying...
> Imagine, for example, that you choose a "Single staff, treble clef" and
> select
> 14 systems (staves) per page. If you then select "Single staff, bass clef",
> you probably still want 14 systems/page. I don't want to reset the
> Systems/page setting in this case...

I think that the most common case would be to have the page filled with
systems. It makes sense that it would be the default behaviour.
Then, to take care of the situation which you describe above, you could add
a button "Do not use default layout", which when selected, would activate
the "Systems per page" menu.

> However, it might make sense to find some heuristics when it makes sense to
> reset (e.g. if you switch from full orchestral score to single-staff systems).

That would be more complicated than what I suggest above, and not obvious
for the user.

> [...]

Best regards,
Gilles