Lowering AccidentalSuggestion objects

From: Brent Annable
Subject: Lowering AccidentalSuggestion objects
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 03:28:19 +0200

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how I can tell the AccidentalSuggestion engraver to push the accidentals closer to the noteheads (i.e. downwards)? I don't mind if they're in the middle of the staff. The purpose of this is to avoid the combination of a suggested accidental above the staff and a fermata taking up too much space between staves.

I've tried using \override AccidentalSuggestion #'Y-extent = (number), but this only seems to push the accidentals upwards, starting from about 5. If the number specified is any less than 5, the accidental stays where it is, it won't go any closer to the notehead. Negative numbers seem to have no effect.

Brent.