Re: shared stem for different rhythms in voice-two notation

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: shared stem for different rhythms in voice-two notation
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:50:34 +0200

Hi,

2011/9/13 Klaus Föhl <address@hidden>:
> Hello,
>
> tiny example:
>
> \relative c' << f2. \\ << c2. { c2 g4 } >> >>
>
> question: the c2 is noted without a stem, it does however touch the stem of
> the
> c2. note. Is this mirror-image ok notationwise?

I think it's not good.  In particular the dots are confusing: are both
cs dotted?  It's hard to say from that example.

> I am asking because an older
> music sheet shows a situation similar to c2. and c2 as separate notes.
>
> slightly expanded example:
>
> \relative c' << f2. \\ << c2. { c2( g4) } >> >>
>
> The f2. should be Soprano, and the c2. Alto I and the {} Alto II, hence the
> stems should be all down for the Alto, who splits only here. And because there
> is one syllable to c2~g4, the indicating slur should connect these two notes.
>
> And - is there a way to make the two notes in question engraved separately?

I'd write voices explicitely (i.e. not using << { } \\ { } >>) and
everything should be clear:

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice { \voiceOne f'2. }
  \new Voice { \voiceTwo c'2. }
  \new Voice { \voiceFour c'2 ( g4 ) }

I'd also consider writing this in the following manner:

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice { \voiceOne f'2. }
  \new Voice { \voiceFour c'2~ ( <c' g>4 ) }

Hope this helps,
Janek