Re: automatic indentation of long instrument names?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: automatic indentation of long instrument names?
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 23:03:36 +0200

On 15 Sep 2011, at 22:08, Patrick Schmidt wrote:

> in previews long instrument names seem to be indented automatically (see
> preview.png) whereas on the first full page of the same score they get lost
> in the left margin (see page1.png). Is there an option for the automatic
> calculation of the level of indentation in relation to the length of
> instrument names?

Some engravers make it more compact:

In my edition of the same music, only the first, indented part has the
instrument names, the latter which further are broken into lines. For example
  Violoncello
  e Cembalo.
(actually with an ending ".").

In an orchestral score (Carmina Burana) with a higher number of instruments
(taking up the whole page), all staff systems have names, but they are
abbreviated and broken into lines as well. For example
  Clar.bosso
         Sib
Interestingly skipping space after the ".".

Hans