double fingering

From: Crist Khachikian
Subject: double fingering
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 07:03:00 -0700

I am having trouble with fingering notes that have other things going
on (e.g., a staccato note, a tied note, etc.).  The only way I have
figured out how to do this is by using this notation (for a staccato
note):

  c-.^\markup{\finger "2"}

any other notation (e.g., c-.-1 or <c\staccato>-1 or other versions),
produces the fingering twice, on top of each other but offset a bit
vertically, making it impossible to read.  Any advice on how to do
this more easily, without having to "markup" individual notes?

Thanks