Re: How to make a tweak a variable?

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: How to make a tweak a variable?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:26:15 +0200

On 18 September 2011 00:43, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Use a music argument.  This will, however, only work if the music
> function is recognizable as a postevent, namely as
>
> notToBarline = #(define-music-function
>  (parser location grb)
>  (ly:music?)
> #{
>  -\tweak #'to-barline ##f-$grb
> #})
>
> {
> c1-\notToBarline \< |
> d4\!  % etc.
> }

Thanks for this answer.
So IIUC the dash between the end of the tweak and the ly:music?
argument is mandatory, as well as the one between the note and the
\notToBarline ?
That's the two things I missed when I tried a music function with the
ly:music? argument.

Yes, this is nice.  At least I can use it with different grobs.

> At the current point of time, you can put postevents into variables, but
> music functions work as (and on) postevents only if declared as such.
> With the current framework, it would be reasonably simple to implement a
> define-event-function (if really wanted), but it does need support in
> parser and lexer.

I would like to be able to get rid of the dash between the note and
\notToBarline .
But I do not think it is worth going into huge work only for me to
meet my aesthetic desire (but if someone else is interested in this
define-event-function and if this is implemented, I would be happy to
use it of course).  ;-)

Thank you.

Cheers,
Xavier