Re: building faillure

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: building faillure
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:08:26 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernardo Barros" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 6:48 PM

Here it is, thanks

(Copying to devel. Problem is a build failure on Fedora. Original text is on user).

What seems to be happening with your system is that it's making the object files in a different order from mine. I have a line:

Considering target file `out/general-scheme.o'

and as a result of this I get:

       Considering target file `out/version.hh'.
        File `out/version.hh' does not exist.
[snip lines]
        Finished prerequisites of target file `out/version.hh'.
       Must remake target `out/version.hh'.
/usr/bin/python /home/phil/lilypond-git/stepmake/bin/make-version.py /home/phil/lilypond-git/lily/../VERSION > out/version.hh

For me, this happens before:

     Considering target file `out/relocate.o'.

which is the line causing your build to fail, since relocate.cc has this line:

#include "version.hh"

which, at this point on your system, has not yet been built. I'm hoping Graham or someone who understands the build system will step in here, but I think you'll be able to temporarily fix this by editing lily/GNUmakefile. See the lines:

$(outdir)/general-scheme.o: $(outdir)/version.hh
$(outdir)/lily-guile.o: $(outdir)/version.hh
$(outdir)/lily-version.o: $(outdir)/version.hh

Add this below it:
$(outdir)/relocate.o: $(outdir)/version.hh

Let me know how you get on.

Graham: git grep version.hh gives:

lily/general-scheme.cc:#include "version.hh"
lily/lexer.ll:#include "version.hh"
lily/lily-guile.cc:#include "version.hh"
lily/lily-version.cc:#include "version.hh"
lily/main.cc:#include "version.hh"
lily/relocate.cc:#include "version.hh"
lily/warn-scheme.cc:#include "version.hh"

I think it could make the build system more robust to make ordering by adding lexer.ll, main.cc, relocate.cc and warn-scheme.cc to the target list for version.hh?

--
Phil Holmes