Re: Help with breaks?

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: Help with breaks?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:42:37 -0700 (PDT)

dogwoodnc wrote:

> As a non-programmer Lilypond novice, I'm confused about specifying breaks
> (and nonBreaks) for systems.  I've tried several potential solutions
> suggested by other posts on this forum, but cannot get any of them to
> work.  I'm using Lilypond 2.12.3 for Windows....
>
> Here's the scenario.  The first two staffs look fine -- 3 measures each.
> However, the next staff is coming up with only 2 measures, and the final
> staff on the page only has 1 measure.  I'd like to combine those two final
> staffs -- so there are only 3 total staffs on the page.  (And that's the
> end of the song; there are no additional pages.)
>
> In the third staff, the second measure is a "first ending", with a repeat
> mark at the end; the next staff is a one measure "second ending".  There
> are few words -- and few notes -- so there should be plenty of room to
> combine the staffs.
>
> I've tried inserting \noBreak, and system-count, and systems-per-page, as
> well as other commands that I don't recall at the moment, as I've found
> ideas already posted (separately and in many combinations), but nothing so
> far has let the fourth staff combine with the third.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated!  (PS: I'm NOT a programmer, so please
> provide novice-level advice if possible.....)
> THANK YOU!

the following example works perfectly with version 2.14.2:

\relative {
  \repeat volta 2 {
    \repeat unfold 3 { a b c d } %\break
    \repeat unfold 3 { a b c d } %\break
    a b c d
  }
  \alternative {
    {e f g h }
    {a b c d }
% \paper { system-count = #3 }

if needed you can uncomment the \breaks or the system-count.

Eluze