Re: Jazz Chord Symbols

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: Jazz Chord Symbols
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:37:42 +0200

I second that - for Jazz use, the cord symbols are sometimes, well, not
optimal. Given that chord symbols are not/hardly used in classics, it
would be a good idea to adjust them more to the requirements of pop
music in general.

However, those requirements are far from being homogenous. Already "the
Real Book" which you refer to, does not actually exist. There's a
multitude of them, different editions, different authors, different
printings etc, all of which are different. For instance, there is
absolutely no standard how to write a major 7 chord - some prefere the
"triangle expression" (which is the lilypond standard setting), others
want a 7 after the triangle, and others use either "maj7" or "ma7", some
in superscript, some not .... same goes with the other chords - just
think of the different modes around to write a "m7b5" chord.

So I think, to take the "pop-chords.ly" which Tim mentioned (thanks for
pointing it out!), and custom-tailoring that to your specific
preferences is the way to go. I will do the same, and it will certainly
be different settings than yours (which I never perceived to be a
problem among jazz musicians - whether septimes, nones, or the upper
structure are in super or subscript, I've never had a problem reading
those different styles. Still, I have my preferences in writing my own
sheets ...)

May I add a jazz-related question to the lilypond community: Right now,
there's no way to write a chord like, e.g. "C7b9#9" in chord symbols in
lilypond, is that correct?

Best,
Robert