Re: Measure_grouping_engraver doesn't sometimes show the conducting sign

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Measure_grouping_engraver doesn't sometimes show the conducting signs
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 10:08:38 -0600

On 10/2/11 10:49 AM, "Stefan Thomas" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Dear community,
> I have a problem with the Measure_grouping_engraver.
> If the measure is filled with notes everything is ok., but in the case of bar
> rests or fewer notes not all measure-grouping signs are shown.
> For me it would be important, espacially for orchestral parts,  to have all
> measure-grouping signs displayed.
> Is there a way to achieve it (automatically)?

The fundamental problem you have is that Measure_grouping_engraver needs to
have an event to trigger a grouping sign, and in your music there are no
events at the appropriate time.

One way to sort of make this work automatically is to define a parallel
voice with the basic rhythm defined with spacer rests:

\version "2.14.2"
\layout { \context { \Staff \consists Measure_grouping_engraver } }

global = { \repeat unfold 5 { s2 s4.}}

\score {
  \new Staff \relative c' {
    \compressFullBarRests
    #(set-time-signature 7 8 '(4 3)) % compound meter; 7/8 bar, gouped in
4+3
    <<
      { \global }
      { c8 d e f g f e % this looks nice, as expected
        d2.. % who can I achieve, that both measure groups are shown?
        R2..*2 % same problem as above
        e4 c8 ~c2
      }

  } }

However, this method prevents the multimeasure rest from compressing.

Are sure you actually want this behavior?  It seems like if you care
strongly enough about the 4 + 3 grouping that you need the conducting signs,
you probably ouught to write d2 ~ d4. instead of d2.. (so the notes will
reflect the grouping).  And do you need grouping on empty measures?  And
again, to reflect the grouping, it should probably be e4 c4~c4. instead of
e4 c8~c2.

Finally, Elaine Gould (Behind Bars) says that engravers should never include
conducting signs -- if conductors want them, they want to write them in
themselves.

HTH,

Carl