Controlling placement of custodes?

From: Bill Mooney
Subject: Controlling placement of custodes?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 19:24:47 +1300

You wrote:-
+++
In the various 'ancient notation' styles, Lilypond automatically places a custos at the end of each line, and mostly gets it right. But when there is a refrain or antiphon, a custos may be needed in an unexpected place or at a different pitch. Is there any way to insert a custos manually, or override the placement of one?

An example:
The custos at the end of the third line should be F, not A, since the next note to be sung is the initial note of the antiphon, not that of the following verse. Furthermore, it should be placed over the beginning of the 'Asperges' incipit, not at the end of the line. There should also be an identical custos at the incipit on the last line.

Some ugly hackery with invisible notes can fix the pitch, but I have not figured out any way to fix the horizontal alignment, or to obtain a custos on the last line.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Greetings Matthew,
I cannot help with the detail of how to achieve the custos movement you ask about...

However, my understanding of the Asperges is that the Antiphon is repeated only after the end of the Gloria Patri... See p11 in Liber Usualis ed. Benedictines of Solesmes, Desclee & Co. 1959
(not within the chant as shown in your pdf file)

Regards
Bill