Re: wind instrument transposition (was Good work, Keith!)

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: wind instrument transposition (was Good work, Keith!)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 22:17:35 -0700

Tim Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

I hope you will permit me to flog this dead horse a bit more. Tim Reeves wrote:
But different horns were chosen not because of the difference in tone quality (so much), but simply to fit into the key of the piece, "back in the day". There's no reason to write horn in D except that the piece is written in D.

I agree with you, but that's simply not the case here. The first movement of the Dvorak is in concert G, and he's writing for horns in C and E. Both of those REQUIRE key signatures. Consider if the piece had started with a major scale. For the concert instruments, that requires no written accidentals. The F is sharped from the key signature. Now, no matter what you argue, a horn in E playing that scale has to finger an Eb major scale. If the key signature is Eb, no accidentals are required. But with no key signature, I have to put accidental flats on B, E, and A. That's what strikes me as odd. The horn must play a written Eb. Why do it with accidentals, and not the key signature?

Regardless of your (quite correct) distinctions between sense and nonsense in musical notation, what has been done with the brass in this score is the custom (in all music before the 20th century) and is therefore correct in all respects, despite its strange appearance. This is what Dvorak wrote, and is what the players expect to (and therefore need to) see.

A rough and possibly inaccurate explanation: The confusion comes from the fact that these instruments were originally (before the development of valves and special playing techniques) capable of only the notes in the harmonic series of their fundamental pitch, and that fundamental was always notated as a low C regardless of its actual sound. Players apparently went by the feel of the instrument according to its harmonic series, and their notation was intended as a harmonic-series guide, not as a representation of concert pitches. When they added tubing to the instrument, players regarded it as moving the instrument's low C, and never said to themselves "my low note is now an E" or whatever it might have been - the low note was always low C, and named as such, regardless of the sound.

Speculation on my part: Different notes in the harmonic series of a brass instrument, especially an instrument built without the benefit of modern technology, are out of tune in fairly predictable ways. Always knowing that (for example) your written high E had to be played sharper than the instrument wanted to play it, that your middle C would need to be played a bit on the low side, and that your high B flat was hopelessly out of tune and ought to be avoided, might have been convenient. In addition, one gets to know one's own instrument with all its possibilities and shortcomings. Thinking of "notes of the instrument" and NOT "notes of the scale" has distinct advantages in a situation like that.

--
David