bar rests are not compressed

From: Stefan Thomas
Subject: bar rests are not compressed
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 12:53:55 +0200

Dear community,
I have written a function, that can calculate a given number of bar rests. You just type in the first and the last measure, the required length of rests will be calculated by scheme.
This is for people like me, which are a little thumb with mentel arithmetics.
But I have now the problem, that lilypond doesn't compress the bar-rests anymore.
Is there a possibility to avoid this problem?
Here is my snippet:

xR = #(define-music-function (parser location  BEGIN  END x ) (number? number? ly:music?   )
#{ % bar rests for a number of bars; just input the first and the last bar number, how many bar rests are needed, will be calculated by lilypond!
    \repeat unfold $(+ 1(- END BEGIN))  $x
#})

 \new Staff \relative c' { \compressFullBarRests
   c1 R1*2
   c1 \break
   \xR  #4 #7 R1  % the Bar rests are not compressed!!! Why?
   c1