Re: Cues (CueVoice) and quoted instrument name : InstrumentSwitch

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Cues (CueVoice) and quoted instrument name : InstrumentSwitch
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 02:31:41 +0000 (UTC)

Xavier Scheuer <x.scheuer <at> gmail.com> writes:

> IIRC in some previous version of the doc it was recommended to use
>   \new CueVoice \with {
>     instrumentCueName = "quoted instrument name"
>   }
> in order to print the name of the quoted instrument (shown in small
> notes).

I had so much trouble trying to use it
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-10/msg00099.html)
that I convinced Trevor to purge it from the documentation.

> Does that mean InstrumentSwitch and instrumentCueName should not be
> used anymore?

They work fine for when a player switches from Flute to Piccolo and back.
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#index-
instrumentSwitch>

The difficulty was in trying to inject the right instrumentSwitch text
into the automatically-created CueVoice.  When instruments cue from each
other, it becomes a very difficult to keep the voices straight.

> Additional question: where could I find the font-size setting [...] I
> cannot find its default value in the Internals Reference of
> InstrumentSwitch.

The smaller size does not come from instrument switch; it comes from
the settings of CueVoice.  fontSize = #-4