Re: Cues (CueVoice) and quoted instrument name : InstrumentSwitch

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Cues (CueVoice) and quoted instrument name : InstrumentSwitch
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 13:13:39 +0200

On 9 October 2011 04:31, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

> I had so much trouble trying to use it
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-10/msg00099.html)
> that I convinced Trevor to purge it from the documentation.

Hi Keith,
Thanks for the answer.

Mmh, using a zero-duration invisible rest is quite tricky (considering
we want to print an instrument cue name)!
I'm not confident in having tricky things in the doc.

Sure there is a problem and it can be "solved" (more like a workaround,
IMHO) but better to report the problem in order to have a proper
solution to be implemented (like a true "InstrumentCueName" object or
whatever the devs would consider).  And then mention this new feature
in the doc.

> They work fine for when a player switches from Flute to Piccolo and back.
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#index-
> instrumentSwitch>
>
> The difficulty was in trying to inject the right instrumentSwitch text
> into the automatically-created CueVoice.  When instruments cue from each
> other, it becomes a very difficult to keep the voices straight.

There is actually a snippet implementing "namedCueDuring" that use this
instrumentCueName!  And it seems to work well AFAICS.
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=388

It would be great if someone could "extend" cueDuring so it can take
*optional* arguments, like cueClef, instrumentCueName, etc.
A "\with-like" syntax:

  \cueDuring #flute \with {
    instrumentCueName = "flute"  % if not set, do not print InstrumentCueName
    cueClef = "treble"  % if not set, no clef
    % or alternatively cueClef could be defined but printed only when
    % needed; in this case we need an automatic "thing" that should
    % know if the clef currently used by the "main instrument" is
    % the same as the clef used for the cue (quoted) instrument.
    cueDirection = NEUTRAL
    % actually I need this, currently we can only define cued UP or
    % DOWN but I have seen in many scores cues with normal ("neutral")
    % stem directions (idem for ties, slurs, etc. -> equiv. \oneVoice).
  } { R1 }

Maybe Reinhold would have better thoughts about this.

> The smaller size does not come from instrument switch; it comes from
> the settings of CueVoice.  fontSize = #-4

Thanks!
Seems obvious now that you have said it!

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>