Re: How to announce user installed fonts on MacOS X?

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: How to announce user installed fonts on MacOS X?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:58:03 +0200

Am 2011-10-13 um 09:23 schrieb Alexander Kobel:

Dear all,
I switched back from Linux to OS X on one of my machines recently, and now I'm puzzled how to use user-installed fonts with LilyPond.

I did the usual thing: grab a .ttf (Gentium in this case), double- click (opens in FontBook.app), click "install". The font file is copied to $HOME/Library/Fonts, and available in Mac applications. However, no luck in LilyPond. After some googling, I tried to delete the $HOME/.lilypond- fonts.cache-2 directory and have Lily rebuild the cache, but to no avail. (BTW, why "-2" at the end?)

I suppose I can just copy the font files to the system library / Library/Fonts, but there must be a proper way to announce the user directory to pango/fontconfig/LilyPond/whatever, right? Any ideas?

You’re looking for
~/.fonts.conf
and
fc-cache (fontconfig rebuild cache tool)

My .fonts.conf looks like
"""
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<cache>~/.fonts.cache-1</cache>

<dir>/System/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>~/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>~/FontExplorer\ X/Font\ Library</dir>
<dir>/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Fonts</dir>
</fontconfig>
"""

fc-cache is in LilyPond.app:
/ApplicationsLilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/fc-cache

Don't know if that will work - I use fc-cache installed with MacPorts, and I don’t really know how LilyPond's fc interacts with my config, but a lot of fonts are found and work.

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm