Re: Disappearing hyphens (endashes) in lyrics

From: Peter Olin
Subject: Re: Disappearing hyphens (endashes) in lyrics
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 23:40:39 +0200

Thanks for your patience.

No not at all. I'm not at all trying to replace the inter-syllable hyphen with emdash.

My lyrics comes from this verse:

Må det väckta sinnet – värdefullt, sublimt –
vakna hos dem där det ännu ej har väckts
aldrig falna där det redan vaknat har
utan ständigt växa i all evig tid.

The en-dashes are between words in the verse (see the first line)

As described in the wikipedia article on Dash:

Like em dashes, en dashes can be used instead of colons, or pairs of commas that mark off a nested clause or phrase. They can also be used around parenthetical expressions – such as this one – in place of the em dashes preferred by some publishers, particularly where short columns are used, since em dashes can look awkward at the end of a line. See En dash versus em dash, below. In these situations, en dashes must have a single space on each side.

So, I want to keep the en-dashes in the typeset lyrics, but I do not want them to be matched to any notes, but rather have them occupy the space between the words, and under the space between the notes.

/Peter