Re: Vowel with Umlaut

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Vowel with Umlaut
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 23:07:25 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

"GRAEME F ST CLAIR" <address@hidden> writes:
Well, I plowtered (Scottish word) around with jEdit, but didn't get much where, so I recovered a Windows Emacs from backup, that I'd never got round to trying, installed it and got exactly nowhere with that either - like vi, "It's a Unix thang, I wouldn't understand"...

"Recovering a Windows Emacs from backup" is probably not the best idea since it is under furious development (surprisingly so for a 30 year old piece of software) and a lot of focus is on making it less of "a Unix thang". If you want to give it a fair try, you should install a reasonably current version. It won't be easier to understand, but you'll be able to do a lot even without understanding. Are you married?

:)

I'm using Emacs now, and have been for only a few months. The first few days I was more or less lost, but just as David Kastrup says, I've been able to do what I need without really understanding very much. I tried Emacs a few years ago and got nowhere, and the newer versions are (in my opinion) MUCH better for a person who's new to it. After getting over the fact that everything looks a bit funny, and that there are so many possible options for its operation that no individual person could know what all those settings do (but further knowing that you only set the ones you need for yourself, and leave the rest alone) it's quite possible for an "emacs newbie" to get his work done very effectively.

That is, if he's not married... :)

From the point of view of a raw newbie like me, the newer versions of Emacs seem to
have settings & commands that are easier to use, and the Emacs display doesn't
look as funny as it used to (able to make use of the same fonts as other
applications do, etc).