Re: Using flat symbol in text

From: Jean-Alexis Montignies
Subject: Re: Using flat symbol in text
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:03:32 +0200

On 19 oct. 2011, at 01:03, Xavier Scheuer wrote:

> On 18 October 2011 10:06, Nick Payne <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I occasionally want to use the flat symbol in a header, usually to indicate
>> the original key when a piece has been transposed from the original key.
>> Neither way I have found of doing this is satisfactory, as shown below. The
>> first leads to an oversized flat symbol that is too close to the preceding
>> character, and the second to a flat symbol that does not have the same
>> weight as the surrounding characters.
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> You might be interested by this topic (quite recent but fallen into
> oblivion?) initiated by Janek on lilypond-devel:
> "do we want special versions of the accidentals for use with text?"
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-09/msg00353.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-09/msg01089.html
>
> Cheers,
> Xavier

Hey, I'm using sharp and flat symbols for extensions in chord symbols!

I second that, the accidental symbol are not satisfactory for use with text.
Currently I'm using the unicode flat and sharp symbols (266D, 266E, 266F). This
makes sense as those symbols are part of fonts for text. That looks really
good, but I'm not sure they're available on windows.
That may create incompatible pdfs. (You can try
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10483737/ForJan.pdf , the first chord should be a
Maj7(#11) )

Greetings,

Jean-Alexis

PS: Self compiled versions of Lilypond fail on a font problem if I use this
chars.